Come and See Him



I wrote this song in July of 2014 while we were still living in California. It is truly amazing to reflect on where I was then and where I am now. God was already doing a major work of restoration in my life, and I was writing this song out of a heart full of gratitude. 

The first bit of inspiration was the chorus to the song. As I thought about how to craft the verses I considered making it more of a personal narrative; however, I decided to simply tell the story of the redemptive work of Christ: his birth, death, resurrection, ascension, sending of the Spirit, and eventual return. This is THE story above all others. It is this story which shapes and gives meaning to our own personal lives. It is also the story that shapes our local, worshiping communities. 

By God's grace, this February I will celebrate eighteen years of vocational ministry as a worship leader in the local church. I am so grateful to God for first calling me and then sustaining me in this journey. It has been a tremendous privilege and joy to write, lead, and share the message of the triune God in song with four different local churches in four different cities, spanning the east and west coasts of this country. 

Last week I sensed the Lord encouraging me to "keep on singing," and to continue to be faithful to his call on my life as a worship leader, songwriter, and author. As I sensed this encouragement from God I was reading about Solomon and how it is thought that he wrote over a thousand psalms (in addition to his several thousand proverbs). I was also reading about the many creedal hymns embedded in the New Testament letters (e.g., Ephesians 2:14-16; Philippians 2:6-11; Colossians 1:15-20; I Timothy 3:16; and I Peter 3:18-22).

Just this past weekend we sang a beautiful hymn, "All Creatures of Our God and King," whose lyrics were penned by Francis of Assisi in 1225. It was given a German melody composed in 1623. We also sang modern worship songs by Paul Baloche, Ben Fielding, Reuben Morgan, Christa Black Gifford, Brian Johnson and Jeremy Riddle. 

I am so edified as I consider this long line of men and women leading God's people in song throughout the generations. I think of my own worship leader peers as well as those who have mentored me along the way. I think of the younger generation of worship leaders and songwriters whom I've had the privilege to invest in over the years. 

My heart is so full as I consider the courage, perseverance, discipline, creativity, grit, and hard work of being in the trenches of worship and arts ministry, planning services and working with volunteers and pastors week after week. Staying fresh and healthy and alive to God fifty-two weeks out of the year is not an easy task, but God's amazing grace is what sustains us. 

I guess I'm writing all of this because I am simply amazed at the goodness of God. The past two years, in particular, have been filled with some of my greatest highs as well as some of my greatest lows. Yet, as I look back over nearly twenty years of full-time ministry, I am utterly astounded by the faithfulness and goodness of God. I am grateful for my wife and partner in ministry, my two beautiful girls, my family, and all of the many people God has brought into our lives as we have served in ministry together.

Most recently, God's faithfulness has been demonstrated in our call to Covenant Presbyterian Church in Palm Bay, Florida. Over the past ten months, God has revealed some of his kingdom purposes in leading and guiding us to this church. We feel such a strong sense of community and connection with the staff, our congregation, our small group, and our ministry volunteers. It has also been sweet, personally and professionally to return to the Central Florida Presbytery, where my vocational ministry first began. 

Finally, I have to acknowledge God's kindness in another area of my life. For years I dreamed of living at the beach. This is the setting and landscape where I feel most alive. It was the one thing I missed the most when we lived in California. I felt very distant from the Atlantic coastline which was such a formative part of life. Living on the coast of Florida and being able to run along or just sit by the ocean any day of the week is like an added gift that the Lord has graciously given to me and my family. 

God is good. My heart is full. I'm going to keep on singing.

Come, come and see what God has done;
Fix your eyes upon the Son.
Come and see him; come and see him.
Come, come and see what he can do;
He is making all things new.
He's the Healer, our Redeemer, come.

Comments

Popular Posts