Yielding to Providence


Allison and I have been working on a recording project for the past couple of months. It's been a great experience this time around. It seems that before each session I'm anxious about how things will go, and each time my expectations have been exceeded. The most recent occurence happened last Saturday. We were supposed to go in to lay down all of our vocal harmonies. On Friday I started losing my voice! We walked into the studio on Saturday morning and the enginner (Rich) said, "Bro, you're not going to be able to sing." I was sent home so that I wouldn't get him sick! I couldn't believe the timing. I was like, "Lord, what is going on! You know we only have a short window to get these vocals done and my voice goes out!"

I kept reminding myself that all throughout this process God has been opening doors, making decisions clear, and bringing the right musicians in to play. So, I was trusting that this was happening for a reason. Just before I left Rich looked at me and said, "This could be a blessing in disguise."

I texted Allison around 3:30 in the afternoon to see how things were going. She texted back, "Great! We had the 'doubles' that we needed from you without you having to be here to sing them! All you have to do is sing harmony on a few songs!"

When you record vocals you sing your part several times...both to kind of "cut and paste" to produce a great lead vocal track and also to have if you want to "double" your part to create a fuller sound. It turns out that my alternate tracks were good enough to use as doubles! This serendipitous discovery probably would not have happened if I had been healthy that day. We would have literally wasted time by having me record these doubled vocals.

And by me NOT being there, the engineer and producer were able to maximize their time with Allison and get some GREAT harmonies! It was the right way for things to happen, and I realized why I was sick that day.

As I have been learning over and over...God is for us. He governs everyday of our lives, and he has a perfect plan for each of us. I don't know when, but someday I hope to really get this and learn how to simply yield to his providence. But then again, stories like these just make him look all the more glorious.

Comments

Popular Posts