Am I a Soldier of the Cross

I have always loved this arrangement by Wade Williams for "Am I a Soldier of the Cross."

We played this hymn as an offertory this past Sunday. The hymn is based on a passage from Paul's letter to Timothy, urging him to "endure suffering along with me, as a good soldier of Christ Jesus." It is also our response to Jesus' call to "take up your cross and follow me." The Irish melody serves the lyric well.

Am I a Soldier of the Cross

Words by Isaac Watts, 1724; Traditional Irish Melody

Am I a soldier of the cross, a follower of the Lamb? And shall I fear to own his cause, or blush to speak his name. Must I be carried to the skies on flowery beds of ease? While other fought to win the prize and sailed through bloody seas.

Are there no foes for me to face, must I not stem the flood? Is this vile world a friend to grace, to help me on to God? Sure I must fight if I would reign; increase my courage Lord. I'll bear the toil, endure the pain supported by thy Word.

Thy saints, in all this glorious war, shall conquer though they die. They view the triumph from afar, and seize it with their eye. When that illustrious day shall rise, and all thine armies shine In robes of victory through the skies, the glory shall be thine.

Comments

Unknown said…
I love the tune. Where can you find it?c

Popular Posts